In our busy, modern world, it is sometimes difficult to isolate the core problem of a culture and find its basic answer—an answer that works. We often forget that pretense was the original sin management program initiated by Adam & Eve, and that this answer did not work for them. Nor does it work for us. Shakespeare said, “False heart must hide what false heart doth know.” Millions attempt this “solution.” However, we believe that trying to be our own “savior” for issues beyond our control, followed by hiding when these attempts inevitably fail, remains the core problem of human history and the fundamental reason Jesus came to rescue us.
After nearly 60 collective years of working with leaders in various countries in the fields of business, the professions, government, education, the arts, media, and the church, Bruce & Janet McNicol and Bill and Grace Thrall decided in 1995 to give their lives to offering the solution of God’s grace to this devastating problem sweeping many countries in the latter part of the 20th century. God’s grace is always the answer—not simply for entering the kingdom of heaven, which many of us understand, but for living well in that kingdom, which most of us do not experience. Most have a mental awareness of God's grace, but little experiential reality of God's grace in their relationships.
This core problem of hiding has especially gained traction since the Enlightenment. The results have been colossal losses of healthy leaders and organizations, enormous financial reversals, and devastation to thousands of families. Data coming from Gallup, Harris, Barna, and other researchers confirm what many suspected for some time: Despite mammoth efforts and countless sophisticated programs, healthy leaders who finish well are not the norm. The losses have been incalculable.
- In 1995 Bruce and Janet McNicol and their family moved from Chicago, Illinois to Phoenix, Arizona to address this central issue with Bill and Grace Thrall. Not long after, John & Stacey Lynch followed in this pursuit.
- In 1994 and 1995, four families from three states, including two widows, invested $375,000 to lay the base for a ministry whose experiential message of grace would transform thousands in multiple countries during the ensuing years.
- In 1997 Leadership Catalyst, now called Truefaced, released its first bestselling book, The Ascent of a Leader, in 2004 the second bestseller, TrueFaced, and in 2009 the third bestseller, Bo’s Café. In 2012 a 2nd edition of the book and guide called Truefaced, now titled The Cure was released. Along the way many collateral resources have been produced, including guides, booklets, videos, exercise tools. Most importantly, scores of “carriers” of this message have emerged from many organizations.
- In 1998, through the counsel of Dr. Bobby Clinton, respected author, professor, and leader development authority and the leadership of Mr. Alan Andrews, US Director of the Navigators, Truefaced began working with its first major organizational client, the Navigators. Many have followed since then.
- Today, Truefaced is recognized as an international resource for helping leaders and their people experience this reformation of God's grace, by restoring the lost blueprint of trusting and loving. It is our prayer that one day, tens of thousands of communities around the globe will experience Christ's revolutionary freedom of authenticity, integrity, and generosity.